Hello and happy day to you. I hope you have been getting a lot done with your sewing. I posted in an earlier post that I hacked the Simplicity 1106 pattern but that it wasn’t quite finished. I had put my hacked blouse into the “time out” basket (you know, the basket with all the unfinished projects) where it remained for almost 2 years!
My “time out” basket
Well, one Sunday, I decided to tackle that “time out” basket and the Simplicity 1106 hack blouse was the first item on the list. All it needed was a hem at the bottom. The reason it was in a time out to begin with was because the fabric was so difficult to handle. It kept fraying and I had a really difficult time hemming it because it wouldn’t remain in place after I pressed it. I found a magic trick. I used spray starch to hold the hem in place. I was able to hem the bottom in no time. The 1106 pattern includes a peek a boo back:
I hacked the pattern so that I can sew together a blouse with no peek a boo back:
Ok, ok, this was an easy hack but now I have another style of blouse that I can wear! I haven’t worn it yet but it’s supposed to match with a dark red skirt that’s also currently in the “time out” basket. I’ll get to that someday. Until then, happy sewing!
I’ve worn this blouse a few times already so I think it’s about time that I write a post about it. I actually made this blouse back in 2017. It took me awhile to wear it because it was one of those pieces that really frustrated me. Not because of the pattern but because of the fabric. The fabric I chose was a crepe de chine. I purchased it from Fabric.com.
Although I typically don’t have too much of a hard time sewing with this type of fabric, I did this time and mostly with the sleeves and the hem. The fabric kept unraveling and was very difficult to work with because it called for a narrow hem for both the sleeves and the hem. It was one of those pieces that I had to put on “time out” until I was ready to finish it. I have a time out basket for all my unfinished items and that’s where it ended up for a few months. When I put it in the “time out” basket, all I had left to finish was the hem. Once I was ready, I tackled that narrow hem and I was happy with the end result.
What I like about this blouse is the style of the sleeves and the length of the blouse. I especially like the back. It adds a nice little touch.
Look at that back!
I made another blouse by hacking the pattern so it doesn’t have the peek a boo back, but that one has been in the time out basket since 2017. I think it’s time to take it out of time out and tackle that narrow hem at the bottom.
Otherwise, the pattern is easy to follow. For this blouse, I chose view D. I didn’t make a contrasting yoke back and sleeve and instead used the same fabric for the whole blouse. I chose crepe de chine for my fabric but other suggestions include challis, lightweight linen types, silky types, jersey and crepe back satin (for the contrasting pieces).
I also made view B. It didn’t turn out too well and I think this is mostly because of the fabric I chose for the contrasting piece. For the main piece, I used a light brown challis and for the contrasting piece, I used a crepe de chine. The two together did not flow well. I ended up removing the contrasting piece. So now it is in the time out basket. I’ll tackle that blouse again once I find a good matching contrasting piece to go with the light brown challis. Perhaps another lightweight challis fabric.
So all in all, I have made 3 items using this pattern, but only one that I actually wear. I would definitely recommend this pattern especially since there are 4 styles that you can make with one pattern.