Sewing

Gingham Shorts: McCall’s 8099

I’m getting ready for shorts season. I made these shorts during Me Made May. The pattern I used was McCall’s 8099 also known as #LinaMcCalls.

The recommended fabrics for this pattern are twill, poplin, cotton blends and denim. I used a gingham tropical suiting that I purchased from Fabric.com.

There were a few modifications that I made. First, I didn’t add the button closure on the sides to hold up the rolled part of the shorts. It didn’t work out because I am terrible at making buttonholes. It’s too bad because that was my favorite part of the pattern. Oh well, next time. I also shortened the length since I was not rolling up the shorts.

I really like the way the side front pockets look on these shorts. I also like the way the waistband looks. For the waistband, the pattern calls for 1 1/2 inch elastic so it’s pretty wide.

Cool and comfortable… Happy Sewing!

Sewing

McCall’s 8085- A Simple Summer Dress

One of the goals that I’ve established for myself during Me Made May was to use up my current fabric and pattern stash this year. So far, I’ve been doing a good job. I made a simple summer dress using a pattern and fabric that I bought last year. I bought both pattern and fabric online in June of 2020 since many stores were closed due to the pandemic. Although these have only been in my stash for a year, I still feel like it’s an accomplishment.

I used McCall’s 8085 to make this dress. This pattern is described as a loose-fitting, pull-over dress. There are options for sleeveless, long or short sleeves. There are also length variations and an option for a hemline ruffle.

I chose View C which is a sleeveless, maxi dress. It has a gathered skirt and elasticized waist. This pattern is labeled as very easy. Agreed, this dress was very easy to put together. It’s perfect for the beginner.

Fabric recommendations for this pattern are moderate stretch knits- cotton knits, jersey interlock and rib knits. I used a double brushed knit that I purchased from Fabric.com. I used a yard and a half to make this dress.

It calls for seam binding for the shoulders. I have never used seam binding before but found out it is a narrow strip of fabric used to to cover hems or rough edges or to strengthen seams. I did not have any seam binding so I left this part out and the shoulders seamed to end up o.k.

I really like this pattern and plan to use it again to make the long sleeved version with the hemline ruffle.

Happy Sewing!

Sewing

Chocolate Roses Dress- Butterick 6722

I made a dress using Butterick 6722. It has an elastic waist and a ruffled skirt. I used a rayon challis fabric called Chocolate Roses. The colors are so pretty. It has pink, cream and blue mixed it with a chocolate brown. It has a soft feel and drapes well.

I chose View A of Butterick 6722. View A has a placket or band for buttons on the front skirt. The button up skirt is more of a decoration. It doesn’t serve a practical purpose. I modified the skirt to eliminate the button placket. I cut the front skirt on the fold in order to do this. Here is how it turned out:

A

Other modifications that I made is that I shortened the bodice by one inch and I shortened the skirt by 2 inches. The skirt also has a ruffled tier at the bottom. I shortened the tier by another 2 inches.

I really love the look of this dress. It has kind of a 1970s vibe to it. I can’t wait to wear it.

Happy Sewing!