Sewing

Cap Sleeved Raglan Dress- McCall’s 7122

I recently entered a pattern stash contest on Patternreview.com. This is a great contest for those who can use some motivation to use up their current fabric and pattern stash. It’s one of my goals this year and so far, I’ve been doing a good job!

I bought both pattern and fabric last year in June 2020. McCall’s 7122 is a pattern for a pullover dress which is close-fitting through the bust. It has a neck band and a narrow hem. I made View B with the cap sleeves. The dresses also have options for side slits, back slits and long sleeves. There is also an option to make the top as a tunic to wear with leggings. And speaking of leggings, there is a pattern included to make those as well! The leggings have an elasticized waist and no side seams. This is a great pattern to have in your stash for sure!

This pattern is labeled as easy. The instructions were easy to follow. It is designed for the beginner to learn how to attach a neck band, sew raglan sleeves and sew with knit fabric. I used a double brushed knit to make my dress. This pattern is designed for medium-weight moderate stretch knits including cotton knits, jerseys and interlock.

My favorite part of this dress are the raglan sleeves. I also like the cap sleeved option. I like how fast and easy it is to complete this project.

I plan to use this pattern again. It’s a good pattern to have in your stash especially to make raglan sleeved shirts. A big plus is that it includes a pattern for the leggings.

Happy Sewing!

Sewing

McCall’s 8085- A Simple Summer Dress

One of the goals that I’ve established for myself during Me Made May was to use up my current fabric and pattern stash this year. So far, I’ve been doing a good job. I made a simple summer dress using a pattern and fabric that I bought last year. I bought both pattern and fabric online in June of 2020 since many stores were closed due to the pandemic. Although these have only been in my stash for a year, I still feel like it’s an accomplishment.

I used McCall’s 8085 to make this dress. This pattern is described as a loose-fitting, pull-over dress. There are options for sleeveless, long or short sleeves. There are also length variations and an option for a hemline ruffle.

I chose View C which is a sleeveless, maxi dress. It has a gathered skirt and elasticized waist. This pattern is labeled as very easy. Agreed, this dress was very easy to put together. It’s perfect for the beginner.

Fabric recommendations for this pattern are moderate stretch knits- cotton knits, jersey interlock and rib knits. I used a double brushed knit that I purchased from Fabric.com. I used a yard and a half to make this dress.

It calls for seam binding for the shoulders. I have never used seam binding before but found out it is a narrow strip of fabric used to to cover hems or rough edges or to strengthen seams. I did not have any seam binding so I left this part out and the shoulders seamed to end up o.k.

I really like this pattern and plan to use it again to make the long sleeved version with the hemline ruffle.

Happy Sewing!

Sewing

Flouncy Butterfly Sleeves Dress- Butterick 6677

I recently attempted to duplicate a dress I saw on Pinterest that I really liked. I was inspired by the flouncy butterfly sleeves. I did not want a polka dot dress and instead wanted a floral dress. That’s the perk of sewing it yourself, you get to pick the fabric you want!

For this dress, I used Butterick 6677 which is described as a semi-fitted, sleeveless dress with an elasticized waist, back opening with button and thread loop closure, side slant pockets, and sash. Bias tape must be purchased for the neck and armhole finish. There are options for flounce detail and a lower ruffle. I made View A which has the flounce detail which looks exactly like the dress I was trying to duplicate.

I used a fabric that I purchased from L.A. Finch Fabrics. The fabric is a designer deadstock described as Black Floral Knolls Rayon Challis Woven. I bought 2 yards. The pattern calls for bias tape which I made from the same fabric. Although this view calls for 2 1/8 yards of fabric, I was able to use 2 yards AND have enough leftover to make bias tape for the neck and armhole finish. I did my best to make zero waste.

Here is my dress:

The flowers are upside down… oops!

And here is the dress I saw on Pinterest that I am trying to duplicate:

The pattern alterations that I made was that I shortened the bodice by 1 inch. In addition, I omitted the back opening with the button and thread loop closure because I was able to fit my head through the neck opening. I also shortened the length.

Happy Sewing!