Sewing

Simplicity 1106 hack

Simplicity 1106 pattern

Hello and happy day to you. I hope you have been getting a lot done with your sewing. I posted in an earlier post that I hacked the Simplicity 1106 pattern but that it wasn’t quite finished. I had put my hacked blouse into the “time out” basket (you know, the basket with all the unfinished projects) where it remained for almost 2 years!

time out basket
My “time out” basket

Well, one Sunday, I decided to tackle that “time out” basket and the Simplicity 1106 hack blouse was the first item on the list. All it needed was a hem at the bottom. The reason it was in a time out to begin with was because the fabric was so difficult to handle. It kept fraying and I had a really difficult time hemming it because it wouldn’t remain in place after I pressed it. I found a magic trick. I used spray starch to hold the hem in place. I was able to hem the bottom in no time. The 1106 pattern includes a peek a boo back. I hacked the pattern so that I can sew together a blouse with no peek a boo back:

20190929_143540

Ok, ok, this was an easy hack but now I have another style of blouse that I can wear! I haven’t worn it yet but it’s supposed to match with a dark red skirt that’s also currently in the “time out” basket. I’ll get to that someday. Until then, happy sewing!

20190929_143529
My Gratitude Journal

It’s all the rage DIY fluffy slime

I guess fluffy slime is all the rage right now. My son requested to make fluffy slime after watching a few youtubers make it. We went to the store to buy some saline solution, glue and shaving cream. We already had the baking soda and food dye. Unfortunately, the store was out of glue so we had to go to Office Depot. We found the glue and amazingly, there was also a recipe for fluffy slime along with saline solution and baking soda for sale. I guess it’s a popular thing.

Here are the ingredients for fluffy slime.

INGREDIENTS:
Washable glue such as Elmer’s school glue
Foam shaving cream
Saline Solution
Baking Soda
Food dye

INSTRUCTIONS
-Add ½ cup of glue into a bowl. We bought a 7.625 fl. oz. of glue and it ended up being half of the bottle.
-Add color  by putting in a few drops of food dye. Stir to mix in the color.
-Add approximately 4 cups of shaving cream into bowl. We didn’t do an exact measurement. We mostly eyeballed it.
-Stir in ¼ teaspoon of baking soda.
-Add 1 tablespoon of  saline solution and mix. Mix thoroughly and then knead the mixture. This is the magic part and when it starts turning into slime.

The slime will get a bit sticky but as you keep working with it and kneading it, it becomes less sticky. To take it out of the bowl, we put a little bit of oil in our hands (coconut oil but you can use any oil) so that it would stick less to our hands.

And ta-da, you have fluffy slime! Josh liked making it so much that he made another batch by himself. My favorite part is adding the saline solution, mixing and watching the magic happen.

A fun DIY to do with your kids.

 

Sewing

McCall’s M7405 Pattern Review

This is a late pattern review for me because I made this dress last summer. Now that we are nearing this summer, I’ve had a chance to wear this dress a few times. So now that I think about it, that makes it an even better review! So let me start by saying that this is a very nice summer dress. It is however, shapeless. So it is best paired with a denim jacket or a floppy hat or a really cute pair of sandals or heels. The best part about this dress is the neckline gathers. It also has a back neck slit.

So on to my pattern review. I sewed the McCall’s pattern M7405. I picked this pattern because it is designed for the beginner. The instructions are easy to follow. There is no zipper since it is a loose fitting pullover dress. You can learn how to make a casing with a drawstring, which is the gathered neckline.

I picked view A which is a dress with a straight skirt above the knee. There are other hemline variations such as long, long with a slit and a shaped hemline. This pattern suggests medium weight woven and knit fabrics such as challis, cotton knit, crepe and gauze. I chose a crepe fabric.

I have one issue with this dress which can be easily resolved. The armholes are too long. The opening is too far down. I think I probably could have sewed a size smaller especially since it is a loose fitting dress. That might have resolved the too long armhole issue. But since I didn’t figure this out until after the dress was finished, I can just do some quick alterations by fixing the armholes to fit.

Can’t wait to wear this dress again this summer! This time with armholes that fit…