Sewing

How to attach a sewing label without stitching

I discovered a better way to attached a sewing label to a garment. I don’t like how the stitches sometimes show up on the back of my garment when I sew in a label. Instead of sewing them in, I use double sided iron on hem adhesive.

This adhesive is used for hemming pants as a no sew method but it’s the perfect size for adhering labels! The hem adhesive for hemming pants are 3/4 inches wide and fit perfectly behind the label. I use a little bit of glue from a glue stick to adhere the hem adhesive to the label so it doesn’t move around while I iron them on. A little heat under the iron and they are adhered with no stitches needed.

Happy Sewing!

Sewing

Drawstring Shorts: McCall’s 7364

Another pair of shorts! So far, I’ve been sticking to my goal of using up my fabric and pattern stash. I bought both fabric and pattern in 2016! Wow, 5 years ago. I finally used both to make drawstring shorts.

The pattern I used was McCall’s 7364. The fabric is from Joann and is a cotton lawn. I only bought one yard of fabric, I don’t know why, but most likely it’s because I was new to sewing at the time and did an impulse buy. I bought the pattern in 2016 as well but never opened it or used it until now. This is actually my first time learning how to make drawstring shorts. It was easy and fun.

McCall’s 7364 is described as below waist shorts. There is also an option to make straight-leg pants. You will need to purchase drawstring. I made view A which are the shorts with rolled hem. The wrong side shows when you roll up the shorts. . There are options for side-seam, side-front and back patch pockets. I only made the side front pockets for my shorts and opted out of the back patch pockets.

Fabric recommendations are cotton blends, linen, chambray, challis and denim since this pattern is designed for medium-weight woven fabrics. I used a cotton lawn and it was not of medium weight. It was light weight and I see a difference. It looks more like pajama shorts than going out shorts. I still wore them out, lol.

The instructions were easy to follow. The pattern is designed for a beginner.

Design changes that I made is that instead of using a purchased drawstring, I made 1/2 inch bias tape using the same fabric and used that as the drawstring.

Comfy, flowy, cool summer shorts. Happy Sewing!

Sewing

Simplicity 8393- Yay or nay?

I made a tunic blouse using Simplicity 8393. I used one yard of fabric, which is one winning point for this pattern (yay). Any pattern that calls for just one yard of fabric is always a win! Although I’m not too sure about the collar (nay).  I also had difficulty with the button closure, so I ended up omitting it (nay). Instead of the button closure, I sewed the top all the way up and it made the collar look very high. (nay). If you like high collars, then this blouse will work for you (yay).

I sewed view B which is the tunic version. There is also an option for a regular length blouse, view C. The blouse was easy to see together (Yay). The collar was actually really easy and fun to put together. (Yay)

I think the reason I’m not to excited about this blouse is because of the fabric I chose. I believe that it’s a polyester blend, which was easy for sewing, but I’m not too happy with the print. I bought the fabric on a whim because I visited a mom and pop fabric store, all the fabrics were $5 a yard and I didn’t want to leave empty handed. I bought one yard knowing I can use it for this pattern.

I would try this pattern again, but I will be more conscientious of the print I chose, maybe even opting for a solid color. I will also use view C for the regular length blouse. I’ll try hard to make that button closure work because it looks much better with it, as intended.

Final vote: 4 yays and 3 nays. I’ll give this blouse a try.