Sewing

Chocolate Roses Dress- Butterick 6722

I made a dress using Butterick 6722. It has an elastic waist and a ruffled skirt. I used a rayon challis fabric called Chocolate Roses. The colors are so pretty. It has pink, cream and blue mixed it with a chocolate brown. It has a soft feel and drapes well.

I chose View A of Butterick 6722. View A has a placket or band for buttons on the front skirt. The button up skirt is more of a decoration. It doesn’t serve a practical purpose. I modified the skirt to eliminate the button placket. I cut the front skirt on the fold in order to do this. Here is how it turned out:

A

Other modifications that I made is that I shortened the bodice by one inch and I shortened the skirt by 2 inches. The skirt also has a ruffled tier at the bottom. I shortened the tier by another 2 inches.

I really love the look of this dress. It has kind of a 1970s vibe to it. I can’t wait to wear it.

Happy Sewing!

Sewing

Flouncy Butterfly Sleeves Dress- Butterick 6677

I recently attempted to duplicate a dress I saw on Pinterest that I really liked. I was inspired by the flouncy butterfly sleeves. I did not want a polka dot dress and instead wanted a floral dress. That’s the perk of sewing it yourself, you get to pick the fabric you want!

For this dress, I used Butterick 6677 which is described as a semi-fitted, sleeveless dress with an elasticized waist, back opening with button and thread loop closure, side slant pockets, and sash. Bias tape must be purchased for the neck and armhole finish. There are options for flounce detail and a lower ruffle. I made View A which has the flounce detail which looks exactly like the dress I was trying to duplicate.

I used a fabric that I purchased from L.A. Finch Fabrics. The fabric is a designer deadstock described as Black Floral Knolls Rayon Challis Woven. I bought 2 yards. The pattern calls for bias tape which I made from the same fabric. Although this view calls for 2 1/8 yards of fabric, I was able to use 2 yards AND have enough leftover to make bias tape for the neck and armhole finish. I did my best to make zero waste.

Here is my dress:

The flowers are upside down… oops!

And here is the dress I saw on Pinterest that I am trying to duplicate:

The pattern alterations that I made was that I shortened the bodice by 1 inch. In addition, I omitted the back opening with the button and thread loop closure because I was able to fit my head through the neck opening. I also shortened the length.

Happy Sewing!

Sewing

Black and White Floral Harem Pants- Simplicity 8393

One of my pledges to myself for Me Made May was to use whatever patterns and fabrics that I already have in my stash. So far, I’ve done a good job. Every item that I’ve sewn this month was made from fabric leftover from other projects.

My theme this month is “Bottoms”. I’ve been in a little bit of a sewing funk lately. So I’ve been focusing on bottoms with elasticated waists since they’re fairly easy and I’m able to encourage myself to work on it. Plus, sewing is my therapy and creating helps me feel better. I think I’m slowly getting my mojo back.

I recently finished this pair of black and white floral pants using Simplicity 8393. I had just enough fabric to make a pair of pants. The fabric I used was a rayon woven that I purchased from L.A. Finch Fabrics. I bought the end of the bolt (about 4.5 yards) and I was able to make these pants and a sundress. Simplicity 8910: A Black and White Floral Spring Sundress

I made two modifications to the pattern. First, I shortened the length due to my short height. Second, I added elastic at the bottom to make them harem pants. To add the elastic, I made a casing by folding up the end of the pants to fit elastic that is 3/8 wide.

The pants have pockets and an elasticated waist with a casing. The casing holds elastic that is 1 1/4 inches wide. I really like the look of the wide waistband. I think it has a nice, clean look, especially if you like to tuck in your shirts. The pants are pretty roomy and have plenty of ease which I was surprised about because based on how the model wore it on the envelope, I thought the pants would fit a little more slim. I picked the envelope and finished garment measurements that best matched my measurements, but they still ended up wide. I later did some research on the pattern and found more pictures of the model wearing the pants and they are wide pants after all.

These pants are super comfy. I feel like I’m wearing PJ bottoms. Secret pajamas…Now those are my kind of pants!

Happy Sewing!