Sewing

McCall’s 7889: Button Hole Fail, Snaps for the Win.

I challenged myself to level up my sewing skills by sewing a button placket which of course, involves sewing a button hole. I chose McCall’s 7889 because the dress was motivating enough to make me try. McCall’s 7889-Learning to make a button placket. This was my second attempt at sewing button holes. The first attempt was a few years ago when I first started sewing so I figured I would gain some experience in my sewing skills before attempting again.

Well… sewing the button hole was a fail for me again. I watched a couple of YouTube videos on how to sew button holes specifically for my machine. I did a few practice runs which were successful. But when it came to sewing the button holes on the actual dress, it was a fail. I tried the top button hole and the fabric wouldn’t move. I’m wondering if it’s because I had two interfaced fabrics to sew through? Maybe I could have made some adjustments on the tension? I also thought maybe the top part was blocking the fabric from moving. So I decided to try the 2nd button hole down. It was a 75% success. That’s because only 75% of the button hole was stitched. The first part of the button hole didn’t get stitched, so I tried to start the process over and was semi successful. It wasn’t perfect, but I thought it could work. Then I used my seam ripper to make the slit on the inside of the stitching and that was a disaster.

What a mess…

I was about to throw the dress into my “time out basket” (where unfinished, unsuccessful projects to be attempted later end up). But I really wanted to finish my project. So I used pearl snaps instead of buttons.

I top stitched instead of slip stitched.

It was a success! And I have to say, I really like the way it looks.

The finished product

There is a lot of ease in the waist but that’s ok, because it looks great with a belt. I forgot to shorten the waist (I’m short waisted) but that’s ok too. The arm holes are too big. I had read this on other reviews but decided to sew the pattern as it is. If I make this dress again, I will adjust the arm holes so that they are not so long and will also shorten the waist by 1 inch (my usual adjustment).

I hope that someday I will be able to sew a button hole. Incidentally, today I found a small box full of cute buttons that I had saved throughout the years that were taken from old clothing, etc. It kind of made me happy because I thought I gave it to Goodwill or something. Now that I know how to sew, I can use them someday.

Until then, happy sewing!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s