I finished my Simplicity 8872 dress recently. I used a silky type fabric that I purchased at Joanns. It was a doorbuster for only $4 a yard. I used about 3 yards for this dress. I like the color and the little flowers on the fabric.
I sewed up view C which is a mid length (for me) with ruffles at the bottom. It has a few modifications. I did not add the cord at the top which is used to tie the collar together. I had to shorten the sleeves due to my short height. Instead of adding elastic around the waist, I added a tie at the sides long enough so that it can be wrapped to the back and tied at the front. I like how it turned out:
I learned how important it is to clip the curves. Especially around the neck collar. If I had not clipped the curves (and corners) of the V neck around the collar, it would have stuck out. Clipping the curves really helped to lay the collar flat.
If I make this dress again, I would like to try either adding on the cording or the trim. Dresses with ruffles make me happy!